Finding the perfect gift can be difficult especially as you get older and also as you become a parent and extra celebratory days come along such as Mother’s and Father’s Day. Which is why last year I decided to have a go at creating my own special personalised gift Father’s day present for my husband.
After looking for inspiration on the internet I chose the idea of creating a family picture made up of our names. Using scrabble pieces to spell them out and linking them up was a perfect choice because he loves the board game.
I found a company on eBay who sold the wooden scrabble pieces individually, another who sold display boxes in different sizes and a company who sold coloured card all with varying designs.
So here is how you can go about creating your own personalised gift:
- Work out how many of each letter you need and possibly order a few extra just in case you accidentally miss some out (yes, I may have done this!) or in case the colouring varies in the wood.
- Plan out how your names will link. There may be several ways it could work but you want the one that will visually look better and really stand out. When I first tried this our names ended up over to the right so I needed to tweak it to get them more central.
- Once you have your plan, pick your card design and try laying it on (without sticking down) to make sure it all ties in well together… perhaps think of what room the picture will be hung in and what colour schemes will work.
- When you are completely happy you can start sticking! I used super glue to ensure they stayed in place after hanging. This will, of course, mean that there is no opportunity for change.
- Double check the pieces are all stuck well before attempting to move. A couple of my pieces dropped off due to lack of glue in some places. It seemed to soak into the wood very quickly.
- You can now place inside your display box and stand back and be very proud of your very own personalised gift.
So why not have a look around the shops, a browse on eBay and see what gift ideas you can come up with for your family or friends? This personalised gift could work for any occasion.
Pin for later: