Whenever we pick up a new skill, it’s likely that we see a rapid improvement in those early months and years, only for things to then plateau a little. This can be frustrating, to say the least, but it’s something that a lot of sewers experience. Thankfully, there are some simple sewing tips that can totally help you up your game in 2023 – read on for some inspiration.
- Invest in a high-quality sewing machine. While it won’t replace skill and experience, a reliable and durable machine will make your sewing projects much easier, enjoyable, and more efficient. It will also save you money in the long run, as you won’t have to constantly replace a cheap, low-quality machine.
- Print more advanced patterns. It’s important to step outside your comfort zone – if you aren’t already. Print sewing patterns that you don’t think you’ll get right the first time around, and you’ll be sure to learn from the process!
- Learn the basics of pattern reading. Understanding how to read and follow a sewing pattern is essential for creating professional-looking garments. Consider taking a class or watching online tutorials to improve your skills – there are plenty of resources available.
- Practise your sewing skills regularly. The more you sew, the better you will become. Set aside time each week to work on new projects and hone your skills – the progress might be slow at times, but you’ll get better.
- Experiment with different fabrics. Different fabrics require different sewing techniques and tools. Try working with different types of fabrics such as cotton, silk, and denim to expand your knowledge and skill set.
- Invest in a good set of tools. A good pair of scissors, a seam ripper, and a measuring tape are essential for any sewing project. Invest in quality tools that will last – you’ll save money in the long run, and it’ll make your sewing experience much more enjoyable.
- Learn to make your own patterns. Creating your own patterns allows you to customise your projects and create unique garments. There are many tutorials and classes available online to help you learn this skill.
- Join a sewing community. Joining a local sewing group or online community is a great way to connect with other sewers, share tips and ideas, and get inspiration for your next project. Having friends who are also into sewing can be a great way of staying motivated as well.
- Take care of your sewing machine. Regular maintenance and cleaning are important, to keep your machine running smoothly. Make sure that you read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for care and maintenance, using the right kinds of oil to ensure that no parts wear out prematurely.
By following these tips and putting in the time and effort, you can improve your sewing skills and create professional-looking items in 2023. Remember to stay patient, and never be afraid to ask for help or advice. It’s a great skill that can help you create some wonderful homemade items and gifts – happy sewing!
*This is a collaborative post. For further information please refer to my disclosure page.
If you enjoyed this post you can follow more of our life, opinions and antics over on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram. Plus feel free to come and join in with my parenting group ‘From One Parent to Another’ on Facebook.
If you’d like to contact me you can either leave me a comment or drop me a line via my contact me page.
For other topics similar to this one check out these suggestions below…