Have you ever wondered what you could do to make a little extra cash? There is likely a car on your drive that can help you do just that. Cars cost a lot of money. Maintenance, tire replacements, MOT, petrol and having to hunt for the best car insurances (not to mention unexpected costs). Car insurance itself can be a nightmare too, with plenty of new options and ways to get the best deal. Googling ‘cheap black box insurance no curfew’ or ‘cheapest insurance for X car’ to make the most of your cash.
However, there are a few ways that your car can pay for itself.
1. Lyft, uber and the local taxi rank. Taking people from A-B for a few quid here and there isn’t a terrible idea. You will need a license or permit to do so and have to have the correct paperwork before you start.
2. If you have been driving for a while, you might consider teaching people to drive. If you think about it, you’ll be making a career out of something you’ve been doing daily for years.
3. Be a moving advertisement. Granted this pays better in some areas than others, and also will depend on the car that you drive…but… it is worth a look. If you don’t care what the outside of your vehicle looks like, there a few companies, like car quids, that will link you up to an advertiser, get your vehicle wrapped and clock your miles. So you will get paid for all of those schools runs, motorway drives an there are some big brands too.
4. If you are in a bigger city, you might find that parking is a premium. In some countries, people sell car parking spaces. But, don’t sell yours, instead of selling, simply rent it out when you are not using it. JustPark is a website you can use to help you advertise your parking space and get a fair price too. If you do this, you might have to do some research or get advice and information on what impact it may have on your home insurance and if you need to declare it to HMRC.
5. How about food delivery? If you love driving and can be found awake most evenings then get in touch with Deliveroo, UBER Eats or maybe just your local chippy and see what they pay. You should probably think about if you mind your car smelling like pizza or fish and chips 5 days a week though…
6. Speaking of delivery, Hermes, DPD, Amazon Flex, and Yodel all allow you to use your own car to deliver parcels in your local area. This is called a Lifestyle courier, you can use your own vehicle, so you will be limited to the size of your boot and backseat.
When it comes down to it, your car can be a pretty big expense, but with a little research and some time, you can make it earn its spot on your driveway.
*This is a collaborative post. For further information please refer to my disclosure page.